Handy Insight

Mold Remediation: Different Types Found in Your Home

Mold spores may float freely through the air, but when exposed to excess moisture they can form colonies that produce allergenic mold spores that form colonies that produce allergenic mold spores that become colonized over time and cause allergies, asthma attacks or long-term health concerns in those with compromised immune systems. Porous building materials and personal possessions contaminated with mold will need to be disposed of; this task should be left to a restoration company. Stachybotrys Chartarum Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly referred to as black mold, is an extremely dangerous toxic mold which has been known to cause various health issues including dermatitis (rashes), respiratory distress, epistaxis (nosebleeds) eye irritation and even worsening asthmatic attacks. Stachybotrys thrives on materials containing high levels of cellulose such as paper, wood and fabric. Although initially slow to develop after water intrusion, Stachybotrys can quickly become dominant under favorable conditions and its spores may become airborne but do not disperse as quickly compared to other fungal spores; additionally, Stachybotrys spores contain mycotoxins known to pose health concerns for humans such as trichothecenes which has been shown to consistently cause human health complications over time. Black Mold Dark green or black in color, mould often thrives in humid areas where it produces toxic spores that trigger respiratory conditions like hay fever or asthma. Unkillable with bleach alone, it will often burrow deep into porous surfaces where professional removal may be required for successful control. This fungus can be particularly dangerous to pregnant women as it has the ability to cause miscarriages. It thrives in damp areas of your home and has an unpleasant musty odor; furthermore it produces neurotoxins which have detrimental effects on nervous systems. Alternaria These allergenic mold spores, often found in areas with water damage, spread rapidly. Their velvety surface can spread like wildfire quickly. Exposure can lead to serious health concerns including respiratory illness and asthma symptoms. This mold thrives in moist environments and feeds on textiles, decomposing paper, dry wall and wood products. It produces mycotoxins which are toxic to both plants and animals as well as being dangerous when inhaled; some studies even link exposure to mycotoxins with respiratory discomfort in humans and even gastrointestinal distress in animals. Aureobasidium Aureobasidium spores may not be as harmful to our health as black mold, but they still present an allergy risk. Preferring warm environments like carpets, fabrics, upholstery fabrics, cupboards or even under the floorboards; Aureobasidium thrives by producing mycotoxins which irritate skin, throat and eye tissues. Air pollution emits spores into the air that may trigger adverse reactions in those sensitive to it, including infants and children, people with respiratory concerns, chemotherapy patients or organ transplant recipients and those who have undergone organ transplant procedures. Air pollution may irritate their lungs. Aspergillus Aspergillus mold is one of the most prevalent indoor molds and is known to cause respiratory irritation in individuals sensitive to it, infectious disease outbreaks, and in some severe cases life-threatening aspergillosis. Allergenic Aspergillus mold spores can be destroyed using household disinfectants like chlorine bleach and distilled white vinegar, however large infestations should be taken care of by professionals. Affected individuals should wear protective clothing and eye protection and take steps such as taking an X-ray and testing their sputum samples to assess the severity of symptoms. Trichoderma Mycotoxins produced by this form of mold can cause allergic reactions, headaches, fatigue and respiratory problems with prolonged exposure. It thrives in damp places like wallpaper, carpet and wooden surfaces. Once detected early on, household disinfectants can help eliminate it but should also be used to kill any remaining colonies to avoid future regrowth. Fungus thrives in damp drywall, wallpaper and carpeting and emits an offensive musty odor. Furthermore, it is allergenic and may lead to skin irritation, rashes and blood infections in humans. Chaetomium As with other molds, Chaetomium spores travel through the air and when they land on something damp and composed of cellulose - such as walls or wood -- they begin to flourish and multiply rapidly. Chaetomium can cause allergies, hay fever symptoms and can even be carcinogenic or teratogenic (cause functional or physical defects in human fetuses). Controlling humidity is the best way to stop mold from growing in your home, which you can do by promptly fixing leaks, installing fans in bathrooms and opting for moisture-resistant building materials like gypsum board. Penicillin Penicillium is a mold that produces antibiotics naturally and has saved millions of lives. It thrives in areas damaged by water, growing on wallpaper and paint and spreading through damaged spaces like sewerage ducts; also responsible for hay fever, asthma attacks and other respiratory complications. This olive green or brown fungus with velvety textures prefers humid and damp conditions and can often be found in showers, bathtubs or under leaking sinks. It causes asthma symptoms as well as memory loss or even pulmonary hemorrhage in infants.

Appreciation Spotlight


The articles provided on HandyPerson.com were useful, timely, and informative. I learned a lot of information that helped have more informed conversations with contractors -- all for free. Thanks, HP!

Alison K., Phoenix, AZ